Are you afraid of getting spooked by ghosts this Halloween? How about spiders? Perhaps you are afraid of frowning pumpkins? Regardless of what scares you, most people would agree candy is the least likely thing to end up on the list of scary monsters this season, but it should be. Candy holds all sorts of hidden dangers, including leading to a vast range of oral and physical health issues. The best way to not let your treats trick you this year, is to keep in mind these important safety tips:
– Go for Short Binges, Not Grazing: Avoid snacking over long periods of time and in between meals.
– Dental Double-check: Check the candy received for yourself and your family, and remove those pieces that don’t dissolve easily or are washed away in your mouth easily.
– Non-Sugar Rewards: Switch out your loved one’s candy with toys, money, or other rewards.
– Brush after Eating: Residue from candy lingers easily in hidden places, especially from hard or sticky candies, so be sure to brush and floss with proper techniques.
– Opt for Healthy Treats: Eat healthy, and you will be healthy.
– Make a Candy Plan: Decide in advance what should be done with any collected/leftover candy, or else you could find yourself snacking on sugary sweets for weeks.
– Visit the dentist for an oral exam, or a professional cleaning
If you would like to come in for an exam, or a cleaning, please contact Garth Collins, DDS, at 916.985.2550. You can also stop by our office in Folsom, California.
We look forward to hearing from you. Have a safe and happy Halloween!