As you grow the little bun in your oven, it’s important to take care of your smile. Whether you believe it or not, pregnancy can have a toll on your teeth, gums, and underlying bone. So, our Garth Collins, DDS team recommends that you keep up on oral hygiene, visit your dentist every six months, and keep a balanced and healthy diet. To help you get the nutrition you need, we recommend doing the following things:
· Eat healthy foods throughout the day. Some foods we recommend eating are whole grains (like cereal, crackers, and bread), fruits, veggies, and dairy products.
· Limit your sugar intake by avoiding candy, cake, and cookies. We also recommend staying away from sugary drinks, like soda and juice.
· As you snack, choose to eat foods like fruits, veggies, yogurt, and cheese.
· Drink as much water and milk as possible throughout the day instead of juices and soft drinks. Also, try to drink as much fluoridated water as possible.
· If you have trouble with nausea, try to eat small, healthy meals and snacks throughout the day. This should be a little easier on your stomach.
Dr. Garth Collins and our caring dental team are here to help you in any way we can, so if you have any questions or if you are interested in knowing more about smile care during pregnancy, we are happy to help! All you need to do is call 916.985.2550 and talk to a member of our team. We look forward to your phone call!